Private duty care is necessary, if a senior requires more care than a family caregiver can provide. Private duty care can be quite affordable.
A source of professional quality home care is a strategy to assist the elderly in living safely and independently, says Florida Today’s recent article entitled “One Senior Place: Private duty care may be answer for some families.”
A great first question to ask a senior, is where they see themselves aging. If the answer is “at home as long as possible,” then private duty care may be worth considering. This type of care can include:
- Meal planning and prep
- Companionship, conversation and socialization
- Grocery shopping and running errands, like picking up prescriptions at the drugstore
- Alzheimer’s and dementia care
- Calendar management
- Light housekeeping, laundry and changing linens;
- Medication reminders
- Going with the senior to appointments, such as the doctor, church and salon; and
- Assistance with bathing, dressing, feeding and walking.
Private duty care can be provided in a number of home settings, including private homes, independent living communities, assisted living facilities, as well as long-term care facilities. The cost is typically not covered by medical insurance, but long-term care insurance policies often will cover the cost of private duty care.
Here are a few of the benefits of private duty care:
- Private duty care can help with these daily living activities.
- Seniors who get help with meal planning and preparation are more likely to maintain good nutrition, which means a better chance of remaining active and independent longer.
- It’s hard for seniors to get out and socialize as they’d like. A caregiver provides the opportunity for continued socialization, by providing transportation to events or just visiting.
- Private duty can give a family caregiver some down time.
Seniors, if you plan to stay at home, consider making private duty care part of your plan.
Reference: Florida Today (March 16, 2021) “One Senior Place: Private duty care may be answer for some families”